These days, we rely on the internet to help us learn about the world around us. This is done through social media, smartphones, computers, and more. It is critical that business owners have a website that meets all of their design needs, while also working to increase visibility online through search engine optimization.
Houston Small Business Marketing is more than a web design agency. Our company focuses on customized websites that focus on user experience and SEO, in an easy-to-navigate responsive design. Our web development team works with you every step of the way to create a mobile-friendly website that will help you drive relevant traffic to your website.
If you are looking for a comprehensive web development company to build you a great website that utilizes the most important digital marketing trends, we can help you. Our professional web designers make your vision a reality and provide top-quality customer service.
Below is a deeper look into how search engines work to rank websites:
Before you search, web crawlers gather information from across hundreds of billions of web pages and organize it in the Search index.
The fundamentals of Search
The crawling process begins with a list of web addresses from past crawls and sitemaps provided by website owners. As our crawlers visit these websites, they use links on those sites to discover other pages. The software pays special attention to new sites, changes to existing sites, and dead links. Computer programs determine which sites to crawl, how often and how many pages to fetch from each site.
We offer Search Console to give site owners granular choices about how Google crawls their site: they can provide detailed instructions about how to process pages on their sites, can request a recrawl or can opt-out of crawling altogether using a file called “robots.txt”. Google never accepts payment to crawl a site more frequently — we provide the same tools to all websites to ensure the best possible results for our users.
Finding information by crawling
The web is like an ever-growing library with billions of books and no central filing system. We use software known as web crawlers to discover publicly available web pages. Crawlers look at web pages and follow links on those pages, much like you would if you were browsing content on the web. They go from link to link and bring data about those web pages back to Google’s servers.
Organizing information by indexing
When crawlers find a webpage, our systems render the content of the page, just as a browser does. We take note of key signals — from keywords to website freshness — and we keep track of it all in the Search index.
The Google Search index contains hundreds of billions of web pages and is well over 100,000,000 gigabytes in size. It’s like the index in the back of a book — with an entry for every word seen on every webpage we index. When we index a webpage, we add it to the entries for all of the words it contains.
Organizing information by indexing
With the Knowledge Graph, we’re continuing to go beyond keyword matching to better understand the people, places, and things you care about. To do this, we not only organize information about web pages but other types of information too. Today, Google Search can help you search text from millions of books from major libraries, find travel times from your local public transit agency, or help you navigate data from public sources like the World Bank.
The good news about SEO planning is that what works for SEO also aligns with providing a positive user experience (UX) for people who visit your website. So, SEO-friendly changes equal a better site for the people you want to engage.
“SEO should be a consideration throughout every step of your website build and your marketing journey,” says Ade Lewis, Partnerships Director at Mailchimp. “It’s the number one way a consumer will find a small business.”
Review this checklist to learn about the changes and adjustments you can make to improve your SEO.
Feature relevant keywords. Keywords are words or phrases that people type into search engines to find something. All areas of your website—including page names, headlines, site copy, image captions, page descriptions, and URLs—need to include keywords in a natural way that doesn’t sound too forced.
Since people search with specific needs in mind, your keywords should be “long tail,” meaning descriptive and narrowly focused. For example, “wedding photography Newport RI” will work better than just “professional photography.” Specific keywords will bring in less traffic overall, but ranking for more detailed searches will result in a higher conversion rate.
- Have a clean site structure. Make sure your website is organized in a way that makes it easy for users and search engines to travel through your site and find what they’re looking for. Internal links from one page to another within your site should provide content that educates your visitor, answers a question about what you offer, or engages them in some other valuable way. Internal links give Google more clues about what your website is about, so it can send relevant visitors your way.
- Feature substantial content. Create website content that’s relevant to your top keywords and hefty enough to be valuable. While punchy, skimmable content is great, keep in mind that Google wants content that solves the search intent, so pages with fewer than 200 words will not be highly ranked. If you want to add meat to your copy, be sure each page solves a problem, answers a question, or moves a visitor forward in their journey through your site.
- Use relevant title tags. A title tag or page tag is the “headline” for a page when it appears in search engine results pages (SERP). The words or phrases in your title tags should be specific and descriptive. Think, “Learn How to Paint Landscapes and Portraits” instead of “Painting Class.” Combining this with the meta description—a longer blurb in search results that says more about what your content provides—encourages users to click through to your website. Title tags also appear in your visitors’ web browser tabs and in social media when your content is shared. This is easy to do in Mailchimp’s website builder. Simply go to the page settings and edit the SEO title to create a title tag and the SEO description to write a meta description.
- Add alt tags. An alt tag is a text description of an image. It serves 3 important purposes. Search engines can’t interpret images, so alt tags help them identify and rank these pieces of content, improving your SEO. They also help website visitors when an image doesn’t display properly on their screen or load quickly by providing a clue about what image they should be seeing. Last, and definitely not least, alt tags are easy for screen readers to decipher, so they help with web accessibility. Alt tags should be short and descriptive—think, “paddle board on lake with smiling boy” or “chocolate cake with vanilla frosting and strawberry.”
- Optimize for mobile. Google prioritizes mobile websites, so making sure your website is mobile friendly is critical. This means providing a visually pleasing and easy-to-use experience no matter what device someone is visiting from. Mobile sites also must load quickly on a 3G connection, render properly on any sized screen, have well-spaced site elements that users can easily tap on to take action, and feature content that’s entirely visible without having to scroll left or right. Mailchimp websites are built with mobile in mind—the website builder allows you to preview your website on a mobile phone to see how it looks.
- Enable fast load times. Ideally your pages should load in under 2 seconds—less than 3 is a must. If they do, it’ll improve your search rankings. There are several things that can slow down your load time, including issues with your content management system (CMS), poorly written code, low bandwidth that can’t handle your traffic volume, or numerous large images on a page. Use Google PageSpeed Insights to test how quickly your website is loading. Be sure you host your website on a platform that enables fast load times.
- Install Google Search Console and Analytics. Google Search Console will help you see if Google is finding and indexing all of the pages on your website to highlight places you can improve performance. It can also help you set up your own site search tracking. You can connect to Google Analytics from your Mailchimp dashboard to monitor your traffic, see what pages are being visited the most, and what links direct visitors to your website. Here’s a guide to help you set up Google Analytics.
- Make sure your website and URL are secure. Google considers HTTPS encryption a top priority, and will show a security warning in search results if a website is not HTTPs encrypted. Work with a website builder that makes security a priority. All websites created with Mailchimp include an SSL certificate—this encrypts data and guarantees the authenticity of a website to visitors.
SEO Houston Marketing Services
Stop missing out on potential customers and become a force within your industry! From excellent web design and social media management to Google Business Listing optimization and a weekly-updated blog, the team at Houston Small Business Marketing is here to help you get to the next level. Grow your business when you expand your reach online. If you are tired of giving away potential customers to your competitors, contact us today!
Houston Small Business Marketing
1415 North Loop West #950
Houston, TX 77008
Google Business Listing
When small and medium-sized businesses embark on their journey to establish an online presence, they often place a high priority on finding cost-effective ways to attract customers through internet marketing. This involves a mix of various online strategies, such as local search engine optimization (SEO), Google Maps marketing, pay-per-click (PPC) management, reputation management, content marketing, social media marketing, and web design. However, the implementation of these strategies can be both expensive and time-consuming. Small and medium-sized businesses frequently grapple with common challenges, including cash flow problems, the need for significant capital expenditures, and a lack of in-depth knowledge in the field of internet marketing. These challenges are part of their daily operations. For these businesses, finding a viable and affordable alternative for internet marketing in the specific locale of Houston can be quite challenging. This is where Houston Small Business Marketing steps in. As a company specializing in internet marketing services tailored for small and medium-sized businesses in the Houston area, we offer solutions to help mitigate the costs associated with online marketing. Our primary focus is on assisting smaller businesses in Houston, and we excel at collaborating closely with them to develop customized internet marketing strategies. By partnering with us, you can benefit from reduced costs for your Houston-based internet marketing efforts. If you are seeking personalized strategies to enhance your online presence and attract more customers in the Houston area, do not hesitate to get in touch with our office. We are here to help you achieve your internet marketing goals affordably and effectively.
Houston Small Business Marketing is a comprehensive digital marketing company located in Houston, Texas. Our team specializes in collaborating with business owners who aspire to grow their enterprises and expand their online presence through tailored marketing strategies tailored to their specific industry. With a proven track record of success, we have partnered with clients from a wide range of professions, aiding them in reaching their goals and expanding their businesses. Whether you are a new startup or an established business seeking to boost your online visibility, we have the expertise to assist you. Our marketing agency in Houston provides a wide range of services, including reputation management, social media marketing, web design and development, Google Maps listing optimization, and content marketing. These components are seamlessly integrated to create a winning marketing strategy for your company, enabling you to stand out among your competitors. The services we offer can be quite time-consuming for business owners to tackle on their own. By working with our team, you can build your online presence, expand your reach, and grow organically, allowing you to concentrate on what matters most – running your business. For small and medium-sized businesses, competing online against corporations and industry giants presents unique challenges. Our team specializes in assisting smaller businesses in such scenarios because we recognize the significance of independent company success in our society. We are a results-oriented full-service digital marketing agency that adopts an inbound lead approach to internet marketing in Houston. Our customized approach delivers qualified leads to business owners, leading to trusted conversion rate optimization. This can manifest in various ways depending on your company goals.
Whether you aim to increase website traffic, enable clients to book appointments through an online portal, improve local search result rankings, or enhance your social media presence, we have the solutions you need. At Houston Small Business Marketing, we understand that a robust marketing plan begins with a well-designed and mobile-responsive website that attracts customers. The design of your website also significantly influences SEO and overall online ranking. We can assess your website to identify factors that may hinder higher online rankings. A poorly designed website can discourage potential customers and hinder your online visibility. When you collaborate with our meticulous web developers, you can be sure your website makes a strong first impression online. For businesses in competitive industries, focusing on online visibility can provide solutions for success. Developing a successful and enduring brand requires various elements, but without visibility, building a customer base becomes a challenge. Online marketing enhances your businesses visibility, connecting you with real-world customers who genuinely need the services your brand offers. Online marketing allows you to target a specific audience with the intent of engaging with a business in your industry. At Houston Small Business Marketing, we work with your brand to showcase your services and highlight what makes your company unique compared to competitors. A broad spectrum of businesses can benefit from our services, whether you are a service-based company, a top attorney at a legal firm, or a medical group looking to attract more patients. Our online marketing services are designed to help your business achieve its goals. If you are eager to expand your business, our team can create a customized digital strategy that aligns with your specific requirements. Whether you want to dominate local areas on Google Maps, generate more appointments through your website, or gain an edge over your online competitors, we have the expertise to assist you. Houston Small Business Marketing employs digital marketing specialists with hands-on experience in online marketing, including those who have launched their own businesses. This means we can develop a Houston internet marketing plan tailored to your specific industry and needs.
In the realm of local SEO, businesses can pursue a variety of objectives that significantly shape their strategic approach. Among the primary aims for many businesses is the quest to enhance their visibility, a feat often achieved by optimizing their Google Map Listing. The importance of achieving high visibility on Google Map Listings in local search and business directories cannot be overstated, as it translates to more direct customer contact and increased foot traffic, complementing the benefits of website visits. Our dedicated team collaborates closely with your company to facilitate your inclusion in the coveted Google local pack or 3-pack. This refers to the first three business listings that prominently feature within the Google Map section when users search for businesses in their vicinity. Local businesses, upon securing a spot in this select group, experience a surge in website traffic, heightened phone inquiries, and a substantial increase in the conversion rate, effectively turning online users into real-world customers. To paint a comprehensive picture, it is crucial to acknowledge that individuals employ various search engines when scouting for local businesses. Platforms like Google, Bing, Yelp, and Apple Maps come into play. To assemble the data required for local search results, search engines rely on a diverse range of signals. These include local blog content, social profile pages, internal links, and accurate and up-to-date citations. By incorporating these elements, search engines can provide users with the most pertinent and relevant local search results. If you are eager to delve deeper into the intricacies of Houston Local SEO, we invite you to reach out to our team today. We are here to demystify the world of local search optimization and help your business thrive in the digital landscape.