What is web development?
A web developer’s job is to create websites. While their primary role is to ensure the website is visually appealing and easy to navigate, many web developers are also responsible for the website’s performance and capacity.
Types of web developers
Web developers usually fall under one of three categories: back-end developers, front-end developers, and full-stack developers. Some web developers also work as webmasters. Let’s take a closer look at each of these roles.
- Back-end web developers create the website’s structure, write code, and verify the code works. Their responsibilities also may include managing access points for others who need to manage a website’s content.
- Full-stack developers do the work of both a back-end and front-end developer. These developers have the knowledge to build a complete website and may work for organizations that don’t have the budget for a large website team.
- Webmasters are essentially website managers. Their primary responsibility is to keep the website updated, ensuring that the links and applications on each page work properly.
Web developer tasks and responsibilities
As a web developer, you could work for a company or agency, or as a freelancer taking on projects for individual clients. Your tasks will vary depending on your work situation, but day-to-day responsibilities might generally include:
- Designing user interfaces and navigation menus
- Integrating multimedia content onto a site
- Testing web applications
- Troubleshooting problems with performance or user experience
- Collaborating with designers, developers, and stakeholders
What Is a Front End Developer?
Front End Development Defined
Front-end development is the part of web development that codes and creates front-end elements of a website, which are features that are directly viewable and accessible by the end-user or client. Essentially, a front-end developer is responsible for everything you see and works to enhance the user experience to ensure it is seamless. They help create the overall design and aesthetic, in addition to debugging and using static code analysis.
Front End Developer Skills
Some of the skills required for a front end developer job include:
- A good grasp of front end programming languages
- The ability to create a responsive design
- A knowledge of testing and debugging
- An understanding of front end development tools and features like automation, content management systems, version control systems, APIs, and frameworks.
What Is a Back End Developer?
Back End Development Defined
Back-end development is aptly named for web development that occurs at the back end of programs. In contrast to front-end development, which focuses on customer-facing products and programs, back-end development addresses server-side web application logic and integration. Back-end developers write code to help a database and application communicate. Essentially, a back-end developer handles what you don’t see; they are in charge of the back end of a website, which includes servers, databases, and applications.
Back End Developer Skills
Back-end developers are responsible for making web pages and applications work through back-end languages and frameworks such as Java or Ruby on Rails. They also monitor how the site is working and make changes and updates to improve the behind-the-scenes functionality.
Some of the skills required for back end developer jobs include:
- Database management
- Framework utilization
- Knowledge of accessibility and security compliance
Comprehensive Web Development Services in Houston
Our digital marketing agency is a comprehensive web development company based in Houston. We focus on building websites with a marketing strategy in mind. Our full-service digital marketing firm does both front and back-end development to ensure you are getting the most from your website. In addition to this, our graphic design experts will help you with logo design and social media marketing to have a clear and concise appearance across all platforms.
Houston Online SEO Company
If you are not putting resources into optimizing your website, you will quickly fall behind your competitors that have already implemented SEO strategies to their online presence. As the gap expands between how much effort your competitors are putting into their online marketing and how little work you are putting into your website, the harder it will become to engage with customers online. The team at Houston Small Business Marketing works hard to help your business stay relevant in this online-focused world by tracking the latest strategies in online marketing for businesses.
Don’t let your business miss out on potential customers and become a force within your industry! From excellent web design to social media management, the team at Houston Small Business Marketing is here to help you broaden your reach and grow your audience!
Stop giving away potential customers to your competition, contact us today! We dedicate ourselves to working closely with business owners to come up with a marketing plan that helps them succeed. We provide each customer with a free consultation for your website and social media to let you know how you can improve your placement online and grow your engagement with local potential customers looking for your services.
Houston Small Business Marketing
1415 North Loop West #950
Houston, TX 77008
Google Business Listing